||For Private Sale
INSPECTIONS By appointment only
CERTIFIED AUSTRALIAN ANGUS BEEF
Without a doubt one of the most dynamic cattle
breeding and fattening properties in eastern Australia.
With emphasis in future on the production of grass fed quality beef, and also its dairy production, the potential
for King Island beef is unlimited.
SCHEELITE, one of the outstanding breeding and fattening properties on King Island, comprising
2,838 ha includes 1,740 ha of improved pastured country.
First developed by the Scheelite mining company in the 1960’s it became the showplace of the Island. Today it is the home of a 2,200 self replacing Angus cow herd, which over the past three years has seen much emphasis placed on lifting performance through improved genetics.
KEY FEATURES OF KING ISLAND INCLUDE
- Its clean green, highly productive disease free status.
- Located in Bass Strait - between Victoria and Tasmania.
- The magnificent “mild maritime climate” – promoting year around pasture growth.
- Excellent rainfall – 1,050 mm per annum.
- The Island’s capacity to produce high quality dairy and beef produce.
- The home of King Island Dairy Company.
- Two abattoirs.
- Daily air flights from Melbourne and Devonport.
- Weekly commercial shipping runs.
KEY FEATURES OF SCHEELITE INCLUDE
- Its size – one of the largest holdings on the Island.
- A dynamic cattle breeding and fattening property – currently carrying a self replacing herd of 2,200 to 2,300 quality ‘disease free’ Angus cows.
- Well situated - adjoining Grassy the Island’s major port.
- Approximately 7 – 8 km of ocean frontage.
- Quality soils – ideal for pasture improvement.
- Well protected from prevailing south westerly weather influences.
- A renowned supplier of weaner/yearling and feeder cattle to an array of markets on the mainland… or just the ability to fatten cattle for domestic and export markets.
2,838 ha (7,012 acres).
Situated on SE side of the island.
Scheelite is well serviced by both Currie (29 km) and Grassy (adjoining) townships. Schooling, medical and commercial services at Currie. Commercial airport approx 39 km.
Tasman Group - domestic and export works, at Currie. A second (game and domestic) abattoir nearby.
Regular sales at Currie.
Regular suppliers of livestock to mainland feedlots.
Scenic gently undulating country rising from the ocean/beach frontage to approx 1,740 ha of principally well sheltered improved pastured country.
Also approx 930 ha of native timbered country which provides strategic shelter belts as well as native reserve. The country generally ranges from 100m to 147m ASL.
Principally soft loams over clay with some areas of granite and ironstone.
Strategically cleared - include Blackwood, Tea Tree and Eucalypts.
Management, in conjunction with Greening Australia, is fencing off belts of timber – for ease of management and weed control.
Approx 1,740 ha (4,300 acres) has been well pasture improved with sub and white clover, perennial ryegrass, Demeter fescue and small areas of cocksfoot and phalaris. Three paddocks are cut for hay and silage annually.
Scheelite has a very strong top dressing history and is annually top dressed with high analysis fertilizers.
The Bold Head rookery provides a sanctuary for the migration of
Climate and Rainfall
One of the features of Scheelite is its “mild maritime climate” - allowing all year pasture growth, thus enabling intensive stocking rates. Situated on the SE side of the Island, Scheelite enjoys a higher rainfall than the Island average, and is mostly naturally protected from the prevailing SW winds.
Annual rainfall is approx 1,050 mm.
- Extremely well watered.
- Springs and spring fed dams
- Equipped homestead bore
- The Grassy river
Paddocks and Fencing
Well subdivided into approx 41 main paddocks.
Fencing includes plain wire, with three plain wire, two barbs and a hot wire on recent subdivisions. New boundary fencing comprises five barbs and wooden posts.
Attractive 40 sqm, six bedroom homestead. Extensively renovated and extended in year 2000. Attractive garden, 15,000 gallons of rainwater and equipped bore.
Grahams Road Cottage
- Currently used as farm office and single staff barracks.
- 27.4 sqm, 3 bedroom home. Renovated in year 2000.
Bold Head Cottage
Approx 27.4 sqm, 3 bedroom home.
- Machinery Shed – older style shed with workshop attached.
- Fertilizer Shed – approx 100 m x 33 m, concrete floor. Currently leased to Impact Fertilizer Company.
- Hayshed – approx 45 m x 28 m, capacity to store 700 round bales.
- ‘Red Hut’ Yards- Sawn timber yards, capacity approx 500 head.
- ‘Bold Head’ Yards- Steel and Timber Yards (circa 1960). Capacity approx 200 head.
- ‘Grassy One’ Yards - Portable all steel yards, capacity approx 60 – 100 head.
The Scheelite Certified Australian Angus Beef Herd
The Scheelite herd is a fully Certified Australian Angus Beef Herd (CH12). The property currently runs a self replacing herd of 2,200 to 2,300 breeding cows, with the steer progeny taken through to a feedlot entry weight of 380 kg (12-16 months of age).
At the height of the season (February/March) livestock numbers ‘on farm’ could be 5,000 to 6,000 head.
The property is estimated to carry approx 28 DSE per ha (Island average 18 – 20 DSE per ha). If it was to produce weaner cattle, it is estimated the carrying capacity could be increased to 3,000 cows.
Target weight gains are approx 1.2 kg per day, with in excess of 2 kg per day in the peak season.
Bovine Johnnes status of MN1.
Accreditation and Certification
Scheelite operates certified environmental management & safety systems that comply with the requirements of;
- AS/NZS ISO 9001:2000 (Best Practice Quality Assurance)
- AS/NZS ISO 14001:2004 (Focus on the Environment)
- AS 4801 (Occupational Health and Safety)
The sale will include land and fixed improvements, the cattle herd, plant and equipment
The sale will include land and fixed improvements, the cattle herd, plant and equipment.
Please contact Meares & Associates for further information or colour brochure.
King Island Consultant
103 Wilson Street, Burnie TAS 7320
Garry Sutton: 0427 605 357
Phone/fax: 03 6463 1212